`K' Company -- HQ, Kerang. Detachments at Swan Hill
& Pyramid Hill.
3rd Battalion -- Headquarters,
`G' Company -- HQ, Cheltenham. Det'ments: Mordialloc,
Mentone, E. Brighton, S. Brighton,
Frankston, Somerville &
`H' Company -- HQ, Dandenong. Detachments: Oakleigh
`I' Company -- HQ, Sale. Detachments at Stratford and
In July 1890, The Rangers gained an artillery battery
at Hastings for the defence of Westernport.
The battery consisted of 40-pounders on travelling
carriages, which could be drawn by bullocks.
In 1891, defections to the Victorian
Mounted Rifles had become worrisome, and a general
order forbade those taking discharges
from the Rangers joining the Mounted Rifles for
at least six months. It was similarly
impossible to a mounted rifleman to join the Rangers
for six months after taking his
Lieutenant William Bennett
with his long service medal, c.
Portrait provided by his proud
grandson Alan Bennett Smith.
A photo believed to show Thomas Quinten
(left) who served in the Victorian Rangers.
lived at Kurraca South, near Wedderburn and
died at the age of 22 years in 1903. Photo
provided by his proud descendant
James Elliot Jenkins
James Elliot Jenkins was commissioned Lieutenant in the
Rangers 22/3/1889 and Captain 20/2/1891 and resigned
from office19/3/1897 and lived in Ararat. Photograph
provided by his proud great grandson Malcolm Jenkins
During WW1 James commanded the 56th infantry battalion
1/7/1915-28/5/1917. He was Chief Commissioner of the
Scouts in 1917. He is in scouting uniform in the photo.
Ranger Johann Freidrich
Christian Schulz was ordered
to shave off his beard in 1901.
It was felt he too closely res-
embled the Duke of York,
later King George V, who was
going to open Australia's first
national Parliament in Melb-
The handsome soldier from
St Arnaud was mistaken for
the Duke during ceremonial
rehearsals by onlookers. His
striking beard had to go!
Photo provided by his proud
great grandson Jason County.
After 1902, the Corps was
reorganised forming squadrons of the 9th and 10th Light
Horse Regiments. But detachments
from Stawell, St Arnaud, Murtoa, Ararat,
Inglewood, Cheltenham, and part
of the Swan Hill and Lake Boga sections
were organised into an infantry
unit, retaining the name Victorian Rangers.
Further reorganisations took
place in 1912 and 1913, during which companies were
separated to form the nucleus of
new Infantry Battalions.
The Rangers of today are the
8/7th BATTALION, THE ROYAL VICTORIA
An history of 8/7 RVR in a book called Country Victoria's
Own, was published in 2008 by Australian Military
History Publications and supported by the Army History Unit. The author is
Maj. Neil Leckie. Maj. Leckie kindly has suggested several corrections to this page resulting from his research.
[Primary Source: Peacock, R. K.:`The
Victorian Rangers', in the Victorian Historical Magazine, Vol. XVII, No. 1,
Do you have an ancestor who served with
the Victorian Rangers? Do you have a
memorable Australians at war movies (take a peek without leaving this